Acids from sugary foods cause your tooth enamel to deteriorate and you lose essential minerals that protect your teeth. Eating foods that contain a high amount of phosphorus, which is the second most plentiful mineral in your body, will protect the enamel on your teeth and replace lost minerals. While on a vegetarian diet, eat the phosphorus-loaded foods below to strengthen the enamel on your teeth.
This food is made from congealed soybean milk and pressed into a block before it's sold in stores. In addition to eating it straight out of the package, you can use tofu in many ways, such as a substitution for eggs and as a soup-thickening agent.
Since there's an abundance of protein in soy, it's often eaten as a meat replacement. Other nutrients in tofu include phosphorus, calcium and omega 3.
Manufacturers add water to the container to keep the tofu moist and the soy block soaks up the water like a sponge. Before adding it to a recipe, remove as much water as you can. This keeps the tofu block firm and it allows the tofu to absorb the flavors and tastes of the ingredients in the recipe.
Follow the steps below for a simple way to drain the water out of your tofu:
- Open the carton and pour out the excess liquid.
- Remove the tofu from the package and place it on a stack of three paper towels.
- Place three more paper towels on the top of the tofu and press down with the palms of your hands to release as much liquid as you can.
- Unfold a dish towel and place three dry paper towels on the top of the towel.
- Place the tofu on top of the paper towels and place three additional paper towels on top of the tofu.
- Fold the dish towel around the block of tofu until it's completely covered with the towel.
- Put a plate on the top of the wrapped up tofu and place a book or unopened vegetable cans on the top of the plate to add weight.
- Wait one hour, unwrap the tofu and throw away the paper towels.
If there is still too much water in the tofu, repeat the process and let the tofu set for another hour.
In addition to phosphorus, this green vegetable also contains iron, which helps your tooth enamel resist the damaging effects of acids. You'll get the most benefit out of broccoli if you eat it raw. Boiling this vegetable removes some of its valuable nutrients. Other green veggies that contain phosphorus include spinach, collard greens and kale.
These seeds are a high source of phosphorus and you'll be strengthening your tooth enamel every time you eat them. Roasted pumpkin seeds make a great snack or you can add them to recipes such as muffins or trail mix.
Below you'll learn how you can easily roast pumpkin seeds in your oven.
- Cut a circle around the top portion of a pumpkin and lift off the top.
- Place your hand down into the pumpkin and pull out the seeds. While pulling out the seeds, you'll also get a handful of pumpkin strings too. If you don't want to use your hands, remove the seeds with an ice cream scoop or a large metal spoon.
- Put the seeds into a colander in your sink and wash the pumpkin debris off the seeds.
- Place a dish towel on the counter and place the cleaned seeds on the towel. Blot the water off the seeds with a paper towel.
- Pour two teaspoons of olive oil on a baking sheet and position the seeds in a single layer on the sheet.
- Sprinkle the seeds with salt or a flavoring of your choice.
- Place the seeds in a preheated 350-degree oven for 10 minutes. Turn the seeds over and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the seeds are golden brown.
When you're on a vegetarian diet, you'll be able to strengthen your tooth enamel by eating the phosphorus-rich foods listed above. With regularly scheduled appointments, your dentist — like one from Dentistry For Children & Adolescents — will be able to detect any dental problems and your teeth will remain healthy.